In the framework of the Asian Development Bank Project “Access to Green Finance” a Symposium took place on October 19, 2018. There were more than 150 participants from Ministries, Micro-Finance Institutions, NGO’s and ADB representatives. The main topic of the symposium was the Five Year Success History, as the Project “Access to Green Finance” will be completed this year.
The “Access to Green Finance” Project, aims at streamlining the credit lines and the microfinance system in Tajikistan, through local microfinance organizations, by providing concessional loans to families, households and small entrepreneurs for; the creation energy-saving and eco-friendly homes, purchasing appropriate energy-saving equipment, heat-insulating materials, solar panels, water-heaters and other heating devices (so-called “green energy equipment”).
With the help of the PIU, loans were granted to microcredit organizations MDO "Imon International" and MDO "Arvand" through Sub-Loan Agreements for creating a credit-line that issues loans for the purchase of energy-saving building material and equipment. The total amount of the credit line is $8.8 million US Dollars. Loans have been given to 6,843 borrowers, including 2,796 women and 4,047 men in 52 cities and districts of Khatlon, Sughd and Districts of Republican Subordination.
Thus, the project improves the public's understanding of the importance of energy-efficient products that can not only save the family’s budget, but also effectively use electricity in the winter season when there is an acute shortage of electricity.
The symposium included a mix of presentations and discussions. Main topics presented and discussed were;
- Project aims, outcome and achievements in the framework of the Project “Access to Green Finance” – presented by the Acting Director of PIU under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Tajikistan, Nozimov Ilhomjon
- ADB’s partnership strategy with Tajikistan and Main Goals of the Access to Green Finance” Project – presented by Permanent Representative of ADB in Tajikistan, Pradeep Srivastava
- outcomes and achievements in the 5-year cooperation in the framework of the Project “Access to Green Finance” – presented by directors and representatives of MDO "Imon International" and MDO "Arvand";
- Technical Information on “Green Energy” Equipment – presented by representative of OJSC “Sistemavtomatika”;
- Recycling of Funds and Selection Process of Financial Institutions for Refinancing – presented by Due Diligence Specialist of the PIU under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Tajikistan, Mansurov Masrur;
- Financial Access to Energy Efficient Housing – presented by GERES Project Manager Renan Le Squer
- Ecology Issues – presented by Ecology Expert of the PIU under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Tajikistan, Mirzoev Solehjon;
- Gender and Social Issues – presented by Gender and Social Expert of the PIU under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Tajikistan, Naimov Nasrullo.
The Symposium was an opportunity to discuss the achievements and roles played in the 5-year cooperation by the attendees. It also gave definitive explanation of the new ways and means of green energy and its opportunities as well as the successful implementation of the repayment period.